Monday, December 9, 2013

From the two women I'd idolize if I were an idolator.

We've had many vigorous debates on this blog about the relationship between Catholicism and science. If the topic is of interest to you, my friend Dr. Stacy Trasancos has written and published an academic thesis (short and easy to read) that should be in your digital library. It's affordable ($5), and proceeds will go to a needy family.

From Stacy ("So I'm Publishing a Book"):
[I set out] to master Fr. Stanley L. Jaki’s claim that “science was born of Christianity” but “stillborn” in other cultures. The birth and stillbirth analogies resonated; I’m a mother who knows the fullness of life and the barrenness of loss. To my surprise, many people asked to read it, so I had an idea. 
There’s a single mother who is a U. S. Military Veteran. She and her two daughters have no heat, not much food, no transportation. They have little materially, but they have each other. I figured out how to publish a less formal version of my thesis digitally and then I contacted this woman … My new friend has agreed to accept all of the royalties.


For more information about what you'll get, go here for Stacy's summary.

If you've heard enough and are already sold, click HERE to get your copy.


+++++++


Also, for those of you who have been following Karen Pullano's story in these past months and are wondering how she is coping during the first holiday season without her daughter, Anna (the second child she has lost), you must read her latest amazing post:


Karen's grace, peace, wisdom and insight always leave me a little bit breathless. She is an example of Catholicism lived out. I want to sit at her feet and learn, pretty much for the rest of my life. 

+++++++










7 comments:

  1. I agree - but I'd add a third - you! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leila, I'd idolize you if I were an idolator. Whenever I get mad in a debate, I come read how you handle yourself and feel inspired to pipe down. Thank you. I could sit at Karen's feet and learn the rest of my life too. Witnessing the grace in her life has given me confidence that I could survive the worst too. She showed me how to have less fear, more faith.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've only had time to read the introduction of "Science ..." so far, but I am do hooked! I can't wait to read more! Stacy, thanks for writing it! Leila, thanks for letting us know about it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I saw that you have TWO women you idolize and saw that Stacy was the first mentioned, I wondered who the second would be and scrolled down, thinking to myself, "Let it be Karen, let it be Karen..." Ah, I'm so happy it's Karen! There are a lot of inspiring women out there, but these women are teachers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh no. Stacy and Leila know each other.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That really is funny Bill. Even though that seams scary, remember that both woman are loving, nurturing moms who have a very deep investment in the world their kids will inherit. Which is why, if you look closely, you can see it. There in the diaper bag, peeking out, a SANTA HAT! As soon as you turn your back...you hear a quiet whisper "st. nick pray for us"....and then....Lights Out!.
    I'm so sorry the medication isn't working and I can't stop the giggles over this. I'm the type that can spontaneously laugh when remembering a movie seen or a joke. Even if I'm in a quiet meeting.
    So Nubby Please , stop the madness here!
    I copied this clip as a joke about how good jokes are never over.
    And look what popped up at 45 seconds! It's a sign for sure. Even he reacts in the spirit of St. Nick. I swear I didn't plan this. AAAAAHHHAAAAAAAAHHHAA!

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMyca5XC_Ao&feature=player_detailpage

    sorry Leila , for being a lunatic about this.
    and Karen is incredible. Definitely a Spartan Mom

    ReplyDelete

PLEASE, when commenting, do not hit "reply" (which is the thread option). Instead, please put your comment at the bottom of the others.

To ensure that you don't miss any comments, click the "subscribe by email" link, above. If you do not subscribe and a post exceeds 200 comments, you must hit "load more" to get to the rest.